Message from Yumi Tanabe, Chairperson “SAKURA” Japan Women’s Wine Awards
I am delighted to announce that the 4th Sakura Japan
Women’s Wine Awards 2017 was successfully completed
and the judges made a selection of fine wines which paired best with Japanese cuisine. The total number of entries has increased by 20% from the previous year to 4,212 entries. It has doubled since the first year, which is an indication that the Sakura Japan Women’s Wine Awards is gaining recognition in the international competitions.
The award selections were made solely by professional female judges in the industry and this year’s slogan for the Sakura Japan Women’s Wine Awards was “Discover perfect wines for radiant women”. This competition has three goals: first, “to contribute in stimulating the wine market in Japan”; second, “to help make selections on
pairing wine with Japanese cuisine”, and the third, “to expand and support the presence of women working in the wine industry”.
I would like to thank and ask for continued support from the wine industry, as well as the numerous contributors and supporters.
Why are we proposing all women juries?
Women in Japan are increasingly taking the initiative in selecting and buying a wine by the following reasons;
- The number of working women has increased and they are having more opportunity to dine out with wines.
- The number of women travelling abroad has increased and they are having more experiences to drink wines in foreign countries.
- Due to the health-conscious trend, women are interested in organic wines and food.
- Women cook and enjoy western dishes with wines at home more often as the way of living has been changed.
- Many women are attending wine schools to deepen the knowledge of wines.
Privileges for the award winning wines
The Best Women Winemaker
The Result of “SAKURA” Japan Women’s Wine Awards
Important Dates to remember
- Oct.1, 2018(Mon) - Nov. 30 , 2018(Fri)
- Sample Delivery
- Arrival at Tokyo by Jan. 11 , 2019(Fri)
- Tasting Judgement
- Jan. 29, 2019(Tue) - Jan. 30, 2019(Wed)
- Award Announcement
- Feb. 14 , 2019 (Tue) St. Valentine's day
- Ceremony announcing
Diamond Trophy and
- March. 5 , 2019(Tue) at